"The borrower is the slave of the lender."

Search

Custom Search

Monday, October 19, 2009

Quick Tips: Frugal Fabric Softeners

Credit to: http://www.frugal-living-now.com/homemade-fabric-softener.html


1. Using 1/4 cup vinegar in your laundry’s rinse cycle keeps clothes soft. You can set aside a vinegar jug just for laundry and add about 2 dozen drops of your favorite essential oil to the vinegar if you’d like (or as much EO as you feel necessary).  I use one of those Downy Balls.




Fabric Softener Recipe

Makes about a gallon of fabric softener
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • 6 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 8 cups water
  • 10-12 drops essential oil of your choice (optional)
    (Click on Mountain Rose Herbs ad at the bottom of this page to order essential oil)
  • a plastic gallon jug with a lid (an empty vinegar jug works well)

  1. Mix the baking soda and water in a large, deep mixing bowl or pot
  2. Stir it until the baking soda is dissolved
  3. Slowly add the vinegar, one cup at a time. The mixture will fizz up, so stir it carefully until all the bubbles are gone before adding the next cup of vinegar.
  4. Add the essential oil and stir.
  5. Wait a few minutes for it to go "flat" before pouring the mixture into the empty jug. If you put it into the jug and cover it while it is still fizzy, the mixture will expand and may blow the lid off!
  6. To use, shake the bottle and add 1 cup softener to the final rinse water

2 comments:

Holly said...

Hi Patty Ann - This content is almost word-for-word from my website, Frugal Living Now. Please either remove the post or credit the information with a link to my site - thank you!

Holly
Frugal Living Now

Denbeath said...

Hi Holly, I added a 'credit to: http://www.frugal-living-now.com/homemade-fabric-softener.html '

I do apologize, it was never my intent to steal yours or anyone else's content. This is an early post from when I first discovered Blogging and at the time it never occurred to me to link to the original content site. I have since been adding credit to the original author of anything that I think is worthy of sharing.

And again, I apologize,
Patty